Picton Branch Library
On March 12, 1846, a charter was obtained for a Mechanic’s Institute in the Town of Picton, which functioned intermittently until 1890 when a meeting was called to establish a full-fledged library. The Committee appointed was authorized to spend $100 on books. After some years of preparation, in 1902, a bylaw was passed changing the Mechanic’s Institute into a Free Public Library. On December 12, 1907, the present building was opened as a new Carnegie Library. One of a limited number of Carnegie designed libraries in Ontario, the building retains much of its original structure and appearance, including oak pillars, elegant archways and a handsome fireplace.
Today the Picton Public Library is a popular community resource for information, access to resources, programming, and events.